Terror at 70mph as a goose smashes through the car windscreen

Astonishingly, he suffered only minor cuts and scratches in the freak accident, despite the combined speed of impact between car and bird being over 100mph.

"One minute I was sat in the car chatting and the next I saw this huge bird plummeting from the sky," said 25 yearold Mr Ranyard, an IT manager from Keighley, West Yorkshire.

"I just froze as I saw it hurtling towards me. It came at me in slow motion like it had been projected straight at me. <a href="http://www.gooseparkas.top/" target="_blank">Canada Goose sale</a> I didn't shout out or put my hands up to protect my face. I just closed my eyes and braced myself.

"I half expected it to bounce off the car bonnet but then all of a sudden I heard a loud smash and felt a massive slap in the face which knocked my head back. I opened my eyes and was covered head to toe in blood, feathers and glass."

Mr Ranyard was being taken home from a work meeting in Bath by his boss Tony Deakin, 64, who drives an S registered Skoda Fabia.

They were on the M5 near West Bromwich when the goose   which the pair believe must have been shot down by a farmer   ended up dead on the back seat.

Mr Deakin managed to keep control of the car despite the heavy traffic and drove to a nearby hospital where his colleague was treated for shock. "I didn't see it coming at all," admitted Mr Deakin, a father of four from Collingham, West Yorkshire.

"Suddenly Martyn was covered in blood. I asked him if he was all right but he wasn't able to speak. He just kept screaming. All I could see was blood all over and didn't know whether it was the bird's or his."

Mr Ranyard, who practises hypnosis, said he must have placed himself in a trance after the bird left him in a flap.

"I can't remember consciously hypnotising myself but I must have done it automatically. It certainly worked, although I'm not sure what Tony must have been thinking. He probably thought I had lost the plot."

After Mr Ranyard was given the all clear to leave hospital, he refused to get back in the car and took a train home while Mr Deakin, who was not covered by his recovery policy, drove the 120 miles home with only half a windscreen.

He said: "It took me nearly four hours because I could only drive at about 45mph.

"It was absolutely freezing but I was just glad it wasn't raining."

Mr Ranyard has since been back in a car but admits he is constantly on the lookout for low flying birds.

Click the Adblock/Adblock Plus icon, which is to the right of your address bar.

On Adblock click "Don't run on pages on this domain".

If you are Private Browsing in Firefox, "Tracking Protection" may cause the adblock notice to show. It can be temporarily disabled by clicking the "shield" icon in the address bar.